Andrena (Poliandrena) tarsata | Tormentil Mining Bee
- Small-medium sized solitary species (8-11mm)
- Summer flight period: June - August
- Thorax black with few hairs
- Females with orange hind tibia and mandible with three teeth
- Abdomen black with few hairs, rear legs of female clothed in brown hairs
- Males generally smaller than females, with a cream/white face (clypeus)
Not common, recorded from a range of habitats where Potentilla is present but most strongly associated with heath/bog sites.
Ground nesting (sandy soil)
Oligolectic - Potentilla
Europe, between 42ºN and 66ºN, eastwards to the Urals
Records submitted to Data Centre in 2019
The following map is interactive. If you would prefer to view it full screen then click here.
Conservation status: FitzPatrick Ú., Murray T.E., Byrne A., Paxton R.J., Brown M.J.F. (2006) Regional Red List of Irish Bees, Publ. Rep. to National Parks and Wildlife Service (Ireland) and Environment and Heritage Service (N. Ireland). http://www.npws.ie/publications/red-lists
Flowers visited & World distribution: Westrich, P. (1989) Die Wildbienen Baden-Württembergs. Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart, Germany.