- Small-medium sized solitary species (7-9mm)
- Red and black bands on abdomen
- Grey hairs at the base of the thorax
- Mainly visits Scabious flowers
- Could be confused with Sphecodes species
Rare. Some association with calcareous grasslands like its host Andrena marginata
Cleptoparasite. Breeds in nest of Andrena marginata
All of Europe, excluding the extreme north
Records submitted to Data Centre in 2020
The following map is interactive. If you would prefer to view it full screen then click here.
Conservation status: FitzPatrick Ú., Murray T.E., Byrne A., Paxton R.J., Brown M.J.F. (2006) Regional Red List of Irish Bees, Publ. Rep. to National Parks and Wildlife Service (Ireland) and Environment and Heritage Service (N. Ireland). http://www.npws.ie/publications/red-lists
Flowers visited & World distribution: Westrich, P. (1989) Die Wildbienen Baden-Württembergs. Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart, Germany.